In his last fight Lesnar scored a victory over Frank Mir, who is the only man to defeat Lesnar, the champion gained his revenge. Using his dominant power and strength, Lesnar pounded Mir for nearly the entire fight before getting the TKO stoppage at 1:48 of the second round.
Carwin earned his title shot with three victories in the UFC, his last a first round TKO over Gabriel Gonzaga (11-4). Carwin previously had defeated Neil Wain (5-1) and Christian Wellisch (8-5). Although his list of opponents is not extremely impressive, Carwin has finished all 11 of his fights in the first round.
The rest of the fight card for UFC 106 is starting to take shape, with the announcement of a light heavyweight bout between Tito Ortiz and Mark Coleman. Ortiz is making his return to the cage after suffering a loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC 84 in May of 2008.
Unofficial fight card:
- Brock Lesnar (4-1) vs. Shane Carwin (11-0)
- Tito Ortiz (15-6-1) vs. Mark Coleman (16-9)
- Ricardo Almeida (11-3) vs. Jon Fitch (19-3)
- Kenny Florian (11-4) vs. Clay Guida (25-10)
- Karo Parisyan (18-5) vs. Dustin Hazelett (12-4)
- Dennis Hallman (41-12-2) vs. John Howard (12-4)
- Phil Baroni (13-11) vs. Amir Sadollah (1-1)